Don’t you just love a man in a suit? One of my favourite PR clients and close friends, Ramin Maher, knows how to wear a suit. Many an afternoon our conversations have switched from work to fashion, and in particular one man and his impeccable suits, Mr. Tom Ford.
Recently interviewed for the Spring/Summer edition of AnOther Magazine by Jefferson Hack, Tom Ford gives us his 5 rules on “How to be the perfect modern gentleman”. Ladies, make sure the men read this! And gents, take note!
1. You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you.
2. A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored. You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world.
3. Manners are very important and actually knowing when things are appropriate. I always open doors for women, I carry their coat, I make sure that they’re walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.
4. Don’t be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background.
5. A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.
Get advice Tom! For the full and intimate conversation between Tom Ford and Jefferson Hack, as well as more stunning pictures of Tom shot by Jeff Burton, pick up your copy of AnOther Magazine.